Most people always hear about different ways to keep your body healthy from exercising to eating better. A health regime that is often neglected, however, is that of taking care of your hair.
Growing up as the daughter of a cosmetologist I have learned a thing or two about hair care. And, when you spend as much time in a hair and nail salon as I have done, you take hair and nail care seriously. I’d like to help you navigate the way to healthy and beautiful hair.
When it comes to your hair, the most basic way to keep your strands healthy and shiny is to get trims every 8-12 weeks. The time in between cuts varies depending on the length, style(straight or curly), amount of layers, if it’s damaged, its thickness, and how fast your hair grows. A healthy haircut can look different for everyone, but generally it only means getting an inch or two taken off. The biggest and best reason to get a regular trim is to get rid of/prevent split ends from taking over. Once a strand of hair begins to split it can continue to do so until it reaches the scalp.
Deciding what products to use on your hair can be a bit overwhelming considering that there are millions of them out there. One product that is very popular is dry shampoo. Check out this list of the top ten dry shampoos. If you can’t get that daily shampoo, or your hair needs a pick-me-up. Dry shampoo is a great product to make your hair look better because it absorbs oils and adds volume. That being said, it is not meant to be a shower replacement, but it can make all the difference in some quick style touch-ups. My dry shampoo of choice is Hair Play makeover spray by KMS California.
A product that I use daily is called 12 Benefits, it comes in a little, hot pink bottle. This is considered an instant healthy hair treatment and it really does make your hair look and feel really good. The benefits of this product include that it seals color, smooths and repairs hair, improves texture and manageability, prevents split ends, moisturizes, strengthens, protects from chlorine/wind/sun, prevents flat iron damage, adds shine and softness, protects from blow-drying, and it has an anti-age formula. Whew! That is a lot of benefits! I recommend applying it when your hair is a bit wet. I also have found that 12 Benefits is is great to put on your hair before you use anything like a flat iron or a curling iron, because it protects your hair from heat damage.
Another product that improves hair health is called Rusk Coral Therapy Marine Nutrient Shine Spray. I can share that this product instantly revitalizes normal, color-treated, highlighted, dry or damaged hair by creating silky, soft, and healthy-looking hair. The rules for application are the same for the 12 Benefits product except you can spray this one in even when your hair is dry, which makes this a great product to use on the go for a little extra shine.
If you are looking for a amazing styling and finishing product, that also does wonders for your hair heath, Moroccan oil original treatment is by far the best. This product is the foundation for every other oil infused hair care product, and basically created all of the hype about argan oil. The reason this product is such a good resource to improve hair health is because it is infused with antioxidant enriched argan oil and shine-boosting vitamins.
This multi-purpose product can be used as a detangler, as well as controlling frizz and split ends while speeding up drying time. You can apply Moroccan oil in two ways: One way is right after you shower and your hair is towel dried. Work it into your hair from mid-length to your ends. After that, you can blow dry or let your hair dry naturally. The other way to apply this product is when your hair is dry and styled. Work some of it in to control frizz. After a single use with this product, your hair will be nourished, smooth, and shiny.
Here are just a few simple tips and tricks that you can use every day to improve your hair health:
- When shampooing in the shower really focus on cleansing just your scalp. Shampoo really doesn’t need to be used on your ends.
- When applying conditioner to your hair, focus on only two inches away from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Always, always, always put some form of thermal spray, or product that protects from heat damage, before using any kinds of irons, or curlers. This makes a world of a difference when it comes to split ends and overall damage to your hair.
- Similarly, after you shower, put in some nourishing hair care products like the ones I mentioned above and you will definitely see improvement in your hair’s health
- When you are brushing your hair, start brushing at the ends and work your way up to the scalp. This will also help with split ends, and you might see less hair on your brush afterwards.
- When blow drying your hair, try to use the cold button instead of the hot temperature setting. This seals down cuticles for smoother hair.
- When your hair is up in a ponytail don’t have the hair tie wrapped around as tight as possible, because this will cause your hair to break. If this is a problem for you try to use elastic hair ribbons instead of the traditional hair tie.
I hope these tips helped. Always talk to her hair dresser if you have any special concerns about your hair or scalp.
Written by Natalie Sinclair, Senior at Keith Country Day School, Guest bFIT Blogger